Here we are, New Year’s Eve 2022 – meh!
Normally, Lynn and I would be getting ready for the Amherst Island Rec Committee New Year’s party. Alas, another year where big events are being replaced by small at-home gatherings. Never ones to miss a party, we’ve put together 10 ideas for “stay safe at home” New Year’s celebrations.
1. Watch Dick Clark’s New Years Rockin Eve with Ryan Seacrest – Last year, for the first time since 1978, I rang in the new year with this bit of nostalgia. KC and the Sunshine Band have been replaced by Karol G (who?) but the ball still drops at midnight. Here’s how to watch this years’ show.
2. Family Games Night – Who doesn’t love an evening of cutthroat competition? Our favourite game for the past two years has been Pandemic (the irony is not lost on us). A strong second is Settlers of Catan. What’s your favourite board game? Here’s Gamesradar.com’s list of best board games in 2021.
3. Light a Campfire – One of the best things about living in the country is meeting friends around a campfire. Do any of my fellow Girl Guides remember banana boats? Host a campfire dessert party with these great recipes.
4. Zoom Party – Remember when we all hosted weekly Zoom parties in 2020? If you aren’t “Zoomed out” here are some fun ideas to “level up” a New Years’ Zoom.
5. Murder Mystery – Nothing says ‘family fun” like a good old fashioned murder. Check out TheSpruce.com for FREE murder mystery games. Spoiler – it was Professor Plum, in the Library, with a Candle Stick.
6. Movie Night – Need a cleanse after binging Hallmark Christmas Movies? How about a Bollywood Movie Night? Find the best Bollywood movies on Netflix and order in from one of Kingston’s best Indian restaurants.
7. Karaoke – Channel you inner Ethel Merman with a karaoke party. Here’s how to set it up without a machine and a list of the best karaoke YouTube channels. My friends are still talking about my killer version of Adele’s “Hello”!
8. Gratitude and Predictions – If you are weary from watching the news, maybe it’s time to write a new story. This great blog from HowDoesShe.com has excellent suggestions for sharing gratitude and making predictions for 2022. What do you predict in 2022?
9. Dance Like No One Is Watching – As a Maritimer, I’m always up for a good ol’ kitchen dance party. If you listen to our Friday Morning Show on 101.3 CJAI FM, you know that we have a weekly KDP at 8:30. Here’s a link to our Kitchen Dance Party playlist on Spotify. Turn it up loud and get your freak on!
10. Go to Bed Early – Of course, there’s no rule that says you must stay up late and drink too much. Why not go to bed early and wake up fresh and ready to tackle 2022? Grab a hot chocolate and scroll our listings to find your dream home. Who knows, maybe we will all wake up like Bobby Ewing and realize that the last two years have just been a bad dream.
However you spend your evening, we are grateful for you and wish you health and happiness in 2022.